Rosso Conero & Food Pairings

Rosso Conero DOC is a wine appellation in the Marche region of Italy. The red wines made here mainly use the Montepulciano grape, which must consist of 85% of the wine’s grape content. The other 15% must be Sangiovese, and nothing else. Rosso Conero is medium to full-bodied red wines that are dark and dense. You’ll find plenty of black currant flavours along with black cherry and black raspberries. Some wines may have a smokey edge due to a longer time spent in oak.

This wine has natural elevated acidity from the Montepulciano grape. However, with the robust herbal and tobacco-like flavours and grippy tannin Montepulciano will cut through some of the meatiest meats and pair nicely alongside rich, roasted root vegetables.

Rosso Piceno DOC, which we’ll cover in a future blog, is another wine made in the Marche region, and are 30%-50% Montepulciano, 30%-50% Sangiovese, and 0%-15% other grapes.

fattoria le terrazze sassi neri label

Rosso Conero Wine Paired with Grilled Steak

Rosso Conero is a tongue staining red wine that will go extremely well with a steak. This wine boasts fruity and juicy flavours of black cherry, black raspberry and black currant, along with oak age qualities such as smoke. Rosso Conero wines are somewhat soft in their youth, making this perfect for steaks that are more on the well-done side where the juicy flavours will be quite refreshing against the charred bitterness of the steak.

Rosso Conero Red Wine and Game Stew

Rosso Conero is a hearty red wine that matches the body of stew. The fruity red flavours of Rosso Conero will mingle nicely and cancel out the gaminess that people sometimes find unpleasant with game stew.

What red wine to drink with Lasagna

Rosso Conero is a wonderful red wine to pair with Lasagna. The fruity red flavours of this wine lift up each component of the baked Lasagna allowing you taste the various layers of love that have been put into the preparation of this classic Italian dish. Meanwhile the layers of cheese, meat and roasted vegetables will let the different flavours of the wine shine bright bringing more depth to this amazing pairing.

Meatballs, Shepherd’s Pie, Meatloaf, Beef Brisket, Black Bean Burgers, Roasted Mushrooms, Beef Tacos, and Meat Lover’s Pizza will all go well with this wine as well.

Notable producers of Rosso Conero are Fattoria La Terrazze – Sassi Neri, and Alessandro Moroder – Dorico.

Discover More Pairings

Spread the love